Monday, March 5, 2012

Studio J Tutorial #19--3D Text


Although I've been encouraged by my awesome upline, Carol Thompson, to apply to teach at Close To My Heart's Extravaganza at Convention, I've never had the courage to do it.  I didn't feel I had anything to offer since I have always been a scraplifter.  Don't get me wrong, I'm totally okay with that and don't feel bad at all about my lack of creativity.  In fact, that is one of the things I love the most about Close To My Heart.  They make it so easy for us all to look amazingly creative to our friends and family.  In the greater scheme of our lives, that's all that really matters.

Yet, then I fell in love with Studio J and started making training videos.  This prompted CTMH to invite me to teach at the Studio J Boot Camp!  It was such an amazing experience and finally gave me the confidence to apply for Extravaganza this year.  Over the next couple of weeks, I'll share my projects along with some video tutorials.  I love my projects so much that it was really hard to say good-bye to them.  I have to wait until July to get them back if I'm not selected to teach...I think the waiting will be more of a disappointment than not being selected.  LOL!

I'm really sorry this isn't a better photo, because this layout looks fantastic in person.  I had been thinking about this layout ever since I took these photos of my husband and his friend playing Combat Commander.  It is a hybrid layout that I designed in Studio J.
I had always planned to add the word Combat later, so I designed the rest in Studio J.  This is what the original file looked like.  I then removed the brads and changed the stitching to match the background paper since my plan was to add my own stitching and embellishments.

I did order both copies of the layout, because I knew that I was cutting out an image and adding stitching.  I wanted a backup, just in case!  Once I received this plain copy, I set to work!

I also had fun discovering a new 3D title technique that I share in the video tutorial above.

I cut the map out and added a 4x6 Flip Flap to make room for more journaling.  It makes me happy that I can tell the story I want to tell without worrying about taking up too much room on the page.  
Flip Flaps Rock! 

I cut "Combat" out using Art Philosophy and easily mounted the letters to dimensional elements.  Love how easy our Cricut cartridge and coordinating dimensional elements make creating titles and other embellishments.

My husband gave me a few game pieces from Advanced Squad Leader to embellish the page!  He was worried that people would notice that the markers are from two different games...really?!  LOL...I just wanted colors that would match the layout!

I added stitching, brads, and game pieces to give the page dimension.  


3 comments:

Another AHA moment with Amy!
I'm so glad you applied for Extravaganza and all the best to you!

See you at Extravaganza!

My health won't permit me to be at Extravaganza but you should definately be teaching there, everyone can benefit from your extreme talent. Good luck.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More